Saturday, September 15, 2007

Naval Intelligence: I really wanna see that Victory Flag tonight

It's gameday, and as the Commodores take the field against the Rebels tonight, there will be a since of urgency driving them. Photo by Diezba, Star & Stripe.
Despite the devil on my shoulder telling me that I'm wasting $80 in gas, I'm heading to Nashville (from Birmingham) this morning to go see if the 'Dores can pull out their first SEC win of the season against Ole Miss. And though I think we can definitely beat the Rebs, I think we can also definitely lose.

Here's hoping.

Maurice Patton tells us in his gameday article that we cannot turn the ball over like we did last year at Vaught-Hemingway. I heartily agree. Last year's game (and yes, I went to it, too) was one of the most dismal football games I believe I've ever seen (and that's saying something, considering I also saw the Florida game during Woody's last season -- I'm not saying it was worse than that one, but it sure was close).

It seems we're not the only SEC team struggling to get out of the bottom four and into the middle four: Joey Vaughn reports in today's Columbus, Miss. Commercial Dispatch that this game is a "must-win" for Ole Miss, too.

Down in Gulfport, Miss., Jim Mashek at the Sun-Herald is reporting that Ole Miss is ready for Vanderbilt. He also has a great quote from Commodore offensive tackle Chris "Nickson can stay in the pocket all day" Williams, who said, "We let them get away from us. We watched film of that game, and it was unbelievable. We're looking to beat them this year and not look too much into the past" (emphasis added, but it feels like it's there in the original).

The Jackson Clarion-Ledger and the Memphis Commercial Appeal see who can write a better spotlight piece on Ole Miss quarterback Seth Adams. Robbie Neiswanger does the honors in the Mississippi capital, and Scott Cacciola takes a turn in the capital of the blues.

Mr. Neiswanger also gives respect to Curtis Gatewood, Vanderbilt's senior defensive end. He's not the only one; there's a great quote from Coach O about how Curtis is our best defense guy. Hopefully, that means they've overlooked Jonathan Goff and Marcus Buggs (who aren't too bad, themselves).

Over on VandyMania, Mike and Jay are back with their College Picks for this week. Jay takes the 'Dores by 12, and Mike sees the Victory Flag being raised on 8.

Finally, on Save the Shield, Phillip picks Mississippi by one point, 27-28.

Look for sunnky skies and 69 degrees as the Foghorn sounds and the Commodores take the field at 6 tonight. But dress warmly, because it'll get down to around 61 with clear skies as we head home.

I really, really hope we win. And, in a last act of contrition, I'll pick the Commodores of Vanderbilt by 3 points. C'mon, 'Dores: beat the Rebs!

1 comment:

PhilipVU94 said...

So happy to be wrong. Although let the record show, when it comes to picking against the spread, you all took OM and the points. :-D